Fable Legends is a cancelled cooperative action role-playing video game developed by Lionhead Studios and published by Microsoft Studios for Microsoft Windows and Xbox One. Microsoft announced the cancellation of the game on 7 March 2016. The servers officially shut down on 13 April 2016.
The game was based around four Heroes and a Villain. Each role may be filled by a player via online multiplayer or by an AI. The same game experience was possible regardless of multiplayer or single player (with four AI). All of the game's story and quests could have been played single player, using AI heroes as sidekicks or enemies. It was possible to play through the game's content as either a Hero or as a Villain.
During each quest, the four Hero characters must use teamwork to succeed in their objectives, while the Villain player opposes them with an army of creatures.
Widgisoft worked with Microsoft Studios and Lionhead in a test position to develop an automated test suite for their game; We initially worked with the game team to develop utility applications to aid their own testing and eventually moved onto a full autonomous system that was able to load and play the game accross an array of consoles to gather extensive telemetry data to use for further test analysis or to feed back into the game development.
What we did
- Development of C# Utility Applications, Automated Testing framework and Automated Tests.
- Development of PowerShell scripts to automate deployment and testing.
- Designing automated test plans and test cases.
- Designing telemetry hooks to capture raw data from the game.
- Documentation of configuring automated testing labs.
- Integration of Test Framework with C++ Game code.
- Working with C++ Game Code, the Unreal Engine and Unreal Editor.
- Data mining large quantities of telemetry data and development of reports
- Building reports for performance data and for heat maps displayed over game map images.
- Mentoring Junior Developers.